Tuesday, October 18, 2011

What would Jesus/Muhammad do?

Okay, I want your intellectual response for this question.  Don't just respond with the first thought that comes to your head.  Think about the topic, research the topic, even possibly try to put yourself on the opposite side.


In the movie, Kingdom of Heaven, Balian says that Jerusalem belongs to everyone and no one.  Why is Jerusalem such an important city to have so much blood shed over it?  Do the teachings of Jesus Christ and Muhammad line up with the actions of the Crusaders from both sides?  Who do you think should have control of Jerusalem?

24 comments:

  1. Jerusalem is considered the holy land and is important to different religions for different reasons, which has and will continue to cause bloodsheed. It is important to the Christians because it is the place where Jesus was crucified, and Christians believe that the land was given to Abraham by God. It was a promise from God to Abraham. The Muslims believe the land belongs to them because they believe Jerusalem is where Mahammad was taken to heaven.

    I have done research on the teachings of Mahammad. In my research I found that the only violence condoned by Mahammad and the Qu'ran was self defense. But he also taught that sometimes it is necessary to fight in order to bring the kind of persecution suffered by the Muslims to an end or to preserve decent values. Some examples of when Muhammad would feel it was necessary to fight would be from verses of the Qu'ran such as:
    -"Fight the unbelievers around you, and let them find harshness in you" (Quran:9:123).
    -"Fight them and Allah will punish them by your hands, lay them low, and cover them with shame. He will help you over them" (Quran:9:14).
    -"Slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them" (Quran:9:5).
    -"Have no unbelieving friends. Kill the unbelievers wherever you find them" (Quran:4:89)
    -When it comes down to it I do believe based on the teachings of Muhammad and the teachings of the Qu'ran that the Muslim Crusaders followed what they have been taught. They were taught to fight for what they suffered for and what they believed to be theirs. This is what they did.

    On the other hand I believe the Christian crusaders did not behave as Jesus Christ would have wanted them to. For instance, a few of the ten commandments given to Moses by God, Jesus's father were as followed:
    Romans 13:9: For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Crusaders did not follow this, which was taught by Jesus. Although they were killing because they felt that they were protecting what belonged to them and Jesus they were still killing. The Bible did not say nor did Jesus teach its okay to kill if you're doing it for a good cause. It states very clearly NOT to kill. Also, it says thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. How would robbing, killing, beating, taking others hostage and many other things be considered loving as you would yourself? A video going into what Jesus would teach( the commandments)follows:
    (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX9U39jBO9Q&feature=related)

    I believe that the crusaders were really a church-sanctioned form of banditry. Their purpose was to claim land,rape women and exploit people whose culture differed from the people in western Europe. I think that some may have had good motives, and actually wanted the land for good purposes, but others I think were simply bandits.

    I think the land belongs to the Christians. However, I don't think they should be fighting over it. I believe the land is the Christians because God gave the land to Abraham and his descendents. The land was given to them by God so its rightfully theirs. In the Bible in Genesis 12:7 it says " And the LORD appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the LORD, who appeared unto him." I am 100% positive that the land belongs to the Christians. But I am also 100% positive that God would not want them fighting over the land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Response to annonymous:

    You present some good points, however, I disagree with you on the fact that neither should have the land. I also disagree that Muhammad was all about being kind to one another, because there are some instances where Muhammad condones violence. I believe that the Christians should have the land because it is their land. It was given to Abraham whom they descended from to be passed down to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Quote from Balian,” Jerusalem belongs to everyone and no one.” Signifies that Jerusalem needs to be shared, and doesn’t need to be owned by one single person. The Reason that Jerusalem is such an important city to have so much blood shed over is that it is the Holy Land. Each side wants to claim the holy land for their religion. I know that the holy land is very sacred to both Christianity and Islamic religion, but the teachings of Christianity do not line up with the actions of the Crusaders from what have occurred. Christianity frowns upon fighting, and says to turn the other cheek. But facts from Islamic teachings suggest that the Crusaders from the time period where doing exactly as they were taught. Personally I think that neither religion should gain control of Jerusalem, instead share it to the good wellbeing of both sides.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DUuyFa0BfE

    ReplyDelete
  4. For Jews Jerusalem was so important because Jerusalem is the capital city of the nation of Israel where King Solomon built the Temple of YHWH, which was completely destroyed in 70AD. Jerusalem is the site of the Western Wall. The Western Wall is the last remains of the temples David built. It was this city that Jews believe YHWH called His Own.
    -- For Muslims,Jerusalem is so important because there is the Dome of Rock, where Mohammed (PBUH), their prophet, made a nighttime journey to the heavens. It is the site where Muslims believe their prophet ascended into Heaven.
    -- For the Christians,According to the New Testament, Jerusalem was the city to which Jesus was brought as a child, to be presented at the Temple and to attend festivals. Jesus aslo preached and healed in Jerusalem, especially in the Temple Courts.

    the actions from the christians didnt line up with jesus' teaching because the bible says not to fight or kill, but on the other hand the Quran says not to kill the innocent, but to fight in self defense.

    i think everyone should share Jerusalem because that is what their leaders (Jesus and Mohammed) would have wanted them to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clayton Hughes

    I believe that the comment made by Balian saying that Jerusalem belongs to everyone and no one supports that Balian believes that the city should be shared.
    Jerusalem is so important because it is the "Holy Land" and both religions want control of it. Both religions think that the "Holy Land" belongs to them. The Christians think so because it was given to Abraham and the Muslims thinks so because they believe that is where Muhammad was taken to heaven.
    Fighting is against what Christ taught as Leon said, Christ taught to turn the other cheek. On the other hand the Muslims were taught to fight in certain instances.
    I believe that the Chirstians should have the city of Jerusalem because they founded the city and built it. I also think that they should allow muslims access to the city.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clayton Hughes

    Leon, I agree with you on the meaning of what Balian said. I also agree with you on the reason there was so much blood shed because it is the holy land and how this falls in line with the teaching of each religion. However, i do not agree with your opinion on how they should share the city but i do see where you would support that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeruslem has so much blood shed because it is a holy place Christians and Muslims and the statement it belongs to everyone and no one is that everyone should be allowed there to do there worship and prayer and that it shouldn't have a ruler or king in charge of it. They don't because Jesus Christ never believed in violence and the Christians killed over 200000 innocent citizens and took over the holy land And Jesus did not teach such things as what they did at Jerusalem like kill, steal, and many others the Christians committed. Muhammed would agree with Jesus but both crusaders actions wouldn't line up with Jesus or Muhammad's teachings. I think the people of every religion should own Jerusalem because then they could worship what ever they wanted to with out any rules.



    My response to trips is that I agree with it should be everyone's, and I think overall he covered what was meant by this question.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In response to Trey5Trippy:

    We have similar views on some of the information we presented, but towards the end of your post I began to disagree with you. I believe it would be kind to share the land, but I don't think the Christians should have too because it is their land. Its their choice on wether or not they want to share the land. I think it is wrong of the Islams to try and take over something that clearly does not belong to them. I understand why they may find the land sacred, but I don't think they have enough reason to try and take possession of the land.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Raven Wooten
    Well as most of the people have said Jerusalem is important because the Christians believed that the land belonged to them because it was believed that Jerusalem was given to their founder Abraham by god. And that the Muslims believed that it belonged to them because it is believed in their society that that was the place where their founder Muhammad ascended into the Heavens. BUT that was not the reason why they fought over Jerusalem. Their stories of wanting to gain Jerusalem for religious purposes are all sugar coating so it looked like they were doing it for a good cause. You see back in the time of the crusades one of the most valuable thing to a man was land. The more land you gained the wealthier you became.
    So basically the Crusade was full of a bunch of fakers! Reason being if both parties were actually true to their religion they would not have fought. Because in both religions yes war was necessary and fighting for your beliefs was what you should have done, but they weren’t doing that. They were fighting for power, land, and wealth. Coveting others belongings. So through the eyes of Muhammad and Jesus Christ they would not have condoned or appreciated this type of behavior. Considering both religions are based upon, Peace, Love, Unity, and Forgiveness. Even to thy enemies.
    That being said I believe that The Christians should have ruled over the land. Not only because Christianity is my own personal religion but because Christianity is dated to be older than the Muslims. So the rule of first come first serve. Also because it was given to Abraham, The Christians Leader, by God.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Raven Wooten's Peer Comment:

    I have to agree with Aaron yet again. As in my post i said that in both religions they did not teach upon such things. Though mine was on a different subject of teaching it was still all connected in one way or another. Both Muhammad and Jesus taught on Love Unity Peace and Forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jerusalem is called the Holly Land it is where the Christians believe that is where Jesus was crucified. God gave that land the Abraham. Christians believe it was God's gift to them.

    Jerusalem is known to Muslims as The Noble, Sacred Place. Jerusalem was home to the first Qiblah which is where the Muslims go to pray. The Qiblah is where Muhammad met the angle Gabriel who lead him on his path as the Muslim's prophet.

    I don't think Jesus or Muhammad would approve of the way the crusaders are acting. They shouldn't try to eliminate a whole other religion just because their Holly City is the same. The prophets would want them to spread their word with kindness not by killing the other. Neither religion is handling the situation thruway they should.

    Personally I don't think either religion deserves soul custody of the city. I think thy should share Jerusalem and learn to accept the other religion. Even though they have their differences they are alike in many ways, Jerusalem is a holly place to both of them for a reason. No one religion should have complete control of the place where many religions began. So basically I think the Muslims and Christians should share Jerusalem.

    In response to Leon's post I think you did a good job showing the facts of each religion but I think you need to be a little clearer on who you think deserves to have Jerusalem. Overall though I think it was a good post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im not sure if my peers comment was posted with my other comment so o sent it in again just in case.

    In response to Leon's post I think you did a good job pointing out the facts about each religion but I think you need to be a little more clear on who you want the city to go to. Overall I think it was a good comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In response to Alandria's Comment:

    I do indeed see and agree your terms and facts of the overall reason for the conflict of Jerusalem, But much so I do not believe your reason of on Religion just controlling Jerusalem alone. I think both Religion's should share the Holy land equally, so that he/her can believe in what they want, without having so much conflict between it all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. -According to Islam, the prophet Mohammed was graciously transported from Mecca to Jerusalem. His main message was one of obedience and “bondage” to Allah (God). Even though he taught that Jesus was truthful in his teachings, Muhammad didn’t accept him as the Son of God or the savior of men. He rejected Jesus’ message of love, forgiveness, and grace, in favor of obedience to the rules of Islam. Mohammed prophesized that any believer of the Qur’an will be rewarded after death, but any nonbeliever who fails to follow Islam’s Five Pillars will be punished. As a result, our eternal life is built upon our acts instead of God’s forgiveness and grace.
    -For Christians, Jerusalem is the place where Jesus Christ existed, preached, died, and was brought back to life. This shows the cause of bloodshed upon the Holy Land. Jesus Christ taught a totally different message. He said those who believe in him are sons of God rather than slaves. And the hope for eternal life is acted upon his death alone, rather than our own acts. Jesus said that those who truly put their faith in him are fully forgiven of all their sins, and have peace with God and a purpose for living.
    -Personally, I think that both Muhammad and Jesus Christ would have not liked the way the Crusaders caused bloodshed in the Holy Land. Instead, they would have wanted them to continue to spread their teachings with intelligence. Also, in my opinion, I think that Jerusalem should be inhabited and ruled by Christians only because it was given to them way before Islam came along to claim the place as theirs. However, I don’t think Christians should exaggerate and keep the Islamic people out, but should make peace with them in a way to show that they’re following Christ’s teachings and to stop the quarreling that has been going on for a long time ‘till this day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jerusalem is the Holy City. The Muslims and the Christians both believe it is valuable enough to fight over because Jesus was crucified there and the Muslims uses it as a place to worship. Balian in my opinion was saying anyone doesn't own Holy City of Jerusalem, but everyone as a whole does meaning that neither the Christians nor any other religion can own Jerusalem but it can be everyone's and they can worship and coexist together. I think that the bloodshed is a little too much and is highly uncalled for even though both have their own beliefs. Christians aren't right because the bible says " Thy shalt not kill" but look at what they are doing. All I know is that they need to stop all the fighting over land because many people are losing their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  16. In Response to Ivonne:

    Exaggerate? How are the Christians exaggerating by wanting something that belongs to them? Thats like you having something, and someone else trying to take it, then them telling you "Don't exaggerate, we can all share it, I don't care if it is yours and that you would like to keep it." I didn't agree with that part of your post. I think you could have chosen a better word or way of putting that. Other then that you did present some good facts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jerusalem is such an important city because many religious followers believe that major events in their religion took place there.

    It's said that Jerusalem is the place where Jesus was brought as a child, and that He preached and healed there, especially in the Temple courts. Also, at the end of each of the Gospels, there are accounts of Jesus' Last Supper in an upper room in Jerusalem, His arrest in Gethsemane, His trial, His crucifixion at Golgotha, His burial nearby and His resurrection and ascension.

    The Muslims thought that Muhammad went to Jerusalem on a nocturnal journey, then from their went off to Heaven. As well as, believing other prophets were associated with Jerusalem.

    Neither religions teach the actions that were done during the Crusades. Christian's are taught to turn the other cheek and not to kill. Muslims are taught only to fight back in self defense.
    According to this, the many years of war should not have been done.

    In the movie, Kingdom of Heaven, Balian says that Jerusalem belongs to everyone and no one. I agree with him because Jerusalem is a Holy Land for many different religions and all religions should be able to use it. When it has ties with more then one religion I don't believe one religion should have all the control. In this sense, it doesn't belong to anyone, but at the same time it's there for everyone.



    @Clayton

    I like your post because you talk a lot about sharing. I also thought Jerusalem should be shared with both or all religions. Some people were saying it would be hard to share or that the decision is up to the Christians, I do think the Christians have a say in it. But I think more people should look at it from the Muslim's side and see why a sharing arrangement should have been worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. In Response to those in Favor of Sharing Land:

    After years of fighting, and bickering I don't believe its possible to share the land. I believe the hatred for one another has grown and is continually growing. I think attempting to share the land may work for a short period of time, but I think their will be someone from a rival side who goes back to his old thoughts, and cause a riot which will lead to more bloodshed! I don't think its very smart to even attempt trying to share the land after so much fighting has gone on. I am still standing firm on my beliefs that the land belongs to the Christians. Most of you are saying "It'll be nice" to share the land. Thats true, but can you honestly say that you believe sharing the land after building up so much hatred for eachother would actually work out pleasently?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ivonne: I liked your post because you told about Islam, most people think that the Islamic people dont have anything to do with Jesus..I also liked how you broke it down. It was easy to read and a good length. also, I agree with you that they should share the land.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Raven

    I agree that the Christians first owned the land because I also think the same thing but I would point out that they all could coexist if they followed their religion so you did a very goo job displaying detail of the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The City of Jerusalem a city that many tears & blood have been shed, but why! Why is this city so important & so well wanted & who truely deserves it?
    The main reason this city is so holy & wanted for the Christians because it is where Jesus was crucified & is beloved to be given to us by Abraham by God.
    The Muslims take Jerusalem very seriously because it is know that they Belive that from this particular location Muhammed was taken to heaven.
    So in both side defence they both have a pretty good reason & explanation why they Belive the Holy Land of Jerusalem belongs to them & there reason of fighting in the crusades.
    Well in my opinion I belive that yes they have both great ways to claim whose land it is but i Belive that the correct answer would be that the the Christian's would own The Holy Land Of Jerusalem just for the fact that it was there befor Muslims were around.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love & agree with Ivonne's explanation its very detailed takes on both sides & shows us her opinion & the information is very detail.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think that they should share Jerusalem. Both religions claim it, both are fighting for it. They should share and learn to get along even though they disagree with each others opinions of religion. But if anyone has rights to it, the Christians do. In the Bible it was promised to them way before the Muslims religion even existed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree with Teresa's way of explaining it. It is from the same point of view I look at it through as a Christian.

    ReplyDelete